What Do You Look For When You Go Shopping?
Sustainability in fashion has been a hot topic for a while now. The fashion industry is one of the industries that media tends to point the finger at the most, and it seems that consumers are beginning to take note.
The changing expectations of consumers regarding fashion are being witnessed in the purchasing of current consumers.
A recent survey found that 9/10 consumers expect companies to go beyond profit and consider social and environmental responsibilities. This behaviour is especially witnessed with millennials of which 84% of consider brand values before making their purchase
So this is to all you 80's and 00's babies out there - do you consider a brands social and environmental commitments before buying?
Before you comment below here are some more facts for you to consider:
- 84% of consumers say that they seek out responsible products wherever possible.
- 82% consider CSR when recommending which products and services to recommend to others.
- 90% of global consumers would switch brands to one that is associated with a good cause given a similar price or qualify.
- A typical pair of jeans requires 900 gallons of water to make.
- The fashion industry is the 3rd most polluting industry in the world, after oil and agriculture.
- Cotton production account for 1/4 of the world's pesticide usage.
- Over 70% of the world's population uses second hand clothes and so before throwing those shoes you never really wore away, send them to your local charity shop.
- The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that roughly 97% of post-consumer textile waste is recyclable.
- Brits only wear up to 70% of clothes in their wardrobe, leaving up to a total of £1,7 billion of unused items left sitting on our racks
This brings us back to the question, what do you look for when shopping? are the facts discussed above things that you ever consider when going out shopping or do you find it tough to live an eco friendly lifestyle ? If you have any favourite sustainable fashion brands please share them below in the comments section !